Powers & Duties
The city manager has the following powers and duties:
- Appoint, suspend or remove City employees and appointive administrative officers except the legal officer provided for under the Charter and except as otherwise may be provided for by law, the charter or personnel rules adopted pursuant to the charter. The city manager may authorize any administrative officer who is subject to his direction and supervision to exercise these powers with respect to subordinates in that officer's department, office, or agency.
- Attend all City Council meetings and have the right to take part in the discussion. The city manager may not vote at council meetings.
- Direct and supervise the administration of all departments, offices and agencies, except as otherwise provided by the charter or by law.
- Formulate a comprehensive plan and modification thereof, in accordance with section 7.03.
- Keep the City Council fully informed as to the financial condition and future needs of the City. The city manager shall make such recommendations to the City Council concerning the affairs of the City as he deems desirable.
- Make reports which the City Council may require concerning the operation of the City departments, offices, and agencies subject to his direction and supervision.
- Perform such other duties as are specified in the charter or may be required by the City Council.
- See that all laws, ordinances, and provisions of the charter, and acts of the council are fully executed. This is subject to enforcement by the city manager or by officers subject to his direction and supervision.
- Submit a complete report on the finances and administrative activities to the City Council. The report shall be submitted at the end of each fiscal year and should be made available to the public.